Good morning friends! I hope you are starting this Monday feeling refreshed and rejuvenated from the weekend! To be quite honest, I am ready for a new week…last week felt long and a bit draining. I found myself struggling with sleep (something that used to be all too familiar) several nights last week, so it goes without saying, my energy was pretty darn low and I just felt blah. So here’s a little coffee chat to get this Monday rolling…
Although it’s never fun to have a sleepless night, my minor setback last week really reminded me how far I’ve come in terms of sleep issues. Just a few years ago, restless nights were my norm, and I began to accept that poor sleep was just a card I’d been dealt. Long story short…I’ve come leaps and bounds, with many factors contributing to better sleep overall, including, but not limited to…making a career change, incorporating more mindfulness practices, and learning and treating specific mineral and vitamin deficiencies I had.
Last week, although I felt frustrated, I told myself this was just a season. A season that might last a few days, a week, or maybe longer, but it wouldn’t be forever. And that gentle reminder gave me the push I needed to stay positive through my exhaustion.
As summer comes to a close, and we embrace fall, I can’t help but think of life as a series of seasons. Time passes. There are hard times, and wonderful times. We experience joys and hardships simultaneously, we have sick days, days when we feel lost, confused, and days when we are so focused, so energetic, we feel on top of the world. Bad times pass. Good times pass, too. So even though I was ready to bid farewell to last week, I am grateful for the struggles. The struggles, both small and big, make me extra thankful for the strong times, the good times.
Heading into this new week, know that whatever lies ahead for you, is just a season. So if it’s a wonderful week, savor it, appreciate it. If it’s a tough week, embrace it, it won’t last forever.
Though the work week felt long, the weekend passed by in a flash. We attended a beautiful wedding in Milwaukee on Saturday, so we made a mini-getaway of it, staying over Saturday night and spending some time on Sunday hitting up our favorite spots in our ol’ college town. Being back in Milwaukee, and on Marquette’s campus, always makes me super emotional (in a good way).
Matt and I met the beginning of our sophomore year at MU (almost 11 years ago to the date) and we’ve just been the best of buddies ever since. My heart still flutters the way it did when I introduced myself to him all those years ago. Strolling around campus Sunday definitely brought us down memory lane, and made me even more grateful for our beautiful marriage.
Once we were back in Chicago, we mustered up the energy to get to Whole Foods for some dinner goods, and a few staples to get us through the beginning of the week. With all the talk of potential price drops about to happen this week at WF, we figured we’d hold off on doing the full week’s haul. BUT, I could not resist snagging these new (maybe just new to me?) Siggi’s flavors that were on sale: Banana and Cinnamon and Chocolate! What?!? I’m so pumped to try them both and will be sure to give you the 411.
Alright, now, for the weekly dinner menu.
- Monday: Tacos/taco bowls…going against taco Tuesday tradition, we’ll be having our weekly favorite tonight. I now work late on Mondays, so I know tacos are an easy thing for Matt to start up while I’m gone. For this week’s edition, we’ll be using grass-fed beef, re-fried beans, tons of greens and veggies, then we’ll top with some salsa.
- Tuesday: We are heading to the Cubs game Tuesday night, but I am planning on having a Hilary’s veggie burger prior to heading out, both to stay on track and to save some dinero. I love having Hilary’s burgers on top of a bed of lettuce with some hummus and extra veggies on top.
- Wednesday: Spaghetti squash lasagna …going to make a meatless version. I’m always trying to play around/improve upon this recipe, so we’ll see what I come up with! Going to serve it alongside a big, Greek salad.
- Thursday: Matt’s dad is coming to town Thursday, so they’ll be out and about for dinner, while I work late. I plan to get myself a salmon burger or a small piece of salmon to have in the fridge in case I totally miss the Thursday dinner festivities.
- Friday: TBD- most likely headed out with our family for dinner 🙂
Even though we have a busy week ahead of us, with some nights being a bit up in the air, I still like to have a plan and a stocked fridge!
Any fun things going on for you this week? Are you trying any new dinner recipes?
Have a great start to the week, all!