Good morning! Today I’m sharing the recipe for a sausage and bean soup I made yesterday for dinner. I absolutely love making soups for dinner- they’re simple, can easily be customized, and they typically leave us with plenty of leftovers for the following day. I’m not quite sure how this exact recipe came to be…it’s sort of mish-mash of ingredients from different soups I love…but the final product is slightly spicy and totally satisfying. The perfect meal for a chilly, fall evening…
ONE POT SAUSAGE & BEAN SOUP
- 1 lb spicy Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
- 14.5 can oz diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 4 cups beef broth
- 14.5 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded carrots (I bought a bag of pre-shredded carrots; make your life easier)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp Avocado or olive oil
- 1 tbsp corn starch (mixed with a bit of cold water, stir together until smooth)
- Fresh, chopped basil (optional)
- In a large stockpot, heat olive or avocado oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken sausage and cook until browned. Remove sausage from the pot and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Add in onion, celery, fresh garlic, and carrots. Cook until onions are translucent and veggies have softened a bit.
- Add in spices and stir.
- Pour in tomatoes (both cans), broth, and the cooked sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 1o minutes.
- Add in beans, stir, and let simmer for a few more minutes.
- Pour in corn starch mixture (this is to thicken the soup a bit, but it is absolutely optional).
You can always add more spices to your liking, but the spicy sausage provides lots of flavor! Serve with slices of crisp, Italian bread (I served with Simple Mills Artisan bread for a gluten-free option). You can add spinach to individual bowls for extra greens or top with fresh chopped basil!
FUN RECIPE TOOLS & PRODUCTS