Happy Monday! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving week. Matt and I just returned late last night from Arizona, where we spent the holiday with Matt’s dad, his brothers, and their families.
I’ll admit…it was tough for me to veer from our usual Thanksgiving traditions in Chicago (walking the turkey trot with neighbors and friends, post turkey trot brunch, and my mom’s incredible Thanksgiving spread), but Arizona was a blast and I am incredibly grateful for the time we spent there.
Matt and I went on two awesome hikes during our Arizona stay…one at Pinnacle Peak and the second at Brown’s Ranch Trail, both located close to where we stayed in Scottsdale. Since vacations (especially holiday vacations) always include a bit of indulging, it felt great to get out and moving, all while soaking in sunshine and beautiful views.
BROWN’S RANCH TRAIL HEAD
Matt and I also spent some time poolside, reading, relaxing, and getting a much-needed dose of Vitamin D. We enjoyed a couple, delicious family dinners out, one at AZ 88 in Downtown Scottsdale and another at Local Bistro in the Grayhawk community of Scottsdale (one of my favorite Arizona restaurants).
Thursday and Friday evening, my sister-in-law’s aunt graciously welcomed us into her stunning home for an al fresco Thanksgiving feast, and Friday, for an awesome party, complete with a live band, a taco bar, and a bar tender who served up some tasty cocktails.
I always hate when vacations end (especially when I leave warm weather and return to cold Chicago), BUT I am ready to get back into a workout routine and some cleaner eating. I enjoy holiday foods to the fullest (I firmly believe life is all about balance), but I do make a point to clean things up post-vacation or post-holiday to give my body a refresh and reboot, so to speak. Here are a few things I do to boost my energy after a holiday or vacation:
- Get moving- when you’re out of your typical workout routine for a few days, it can be tough finding motivation to get back into it, but the sooner your rip the band aid, the easier it is. This week, my goal will be to workout 6 days, even if some of the days are just quick or light workouts.
- Drink Health Ade Kombucha- as many of you know, I love Health Ade Kombucha, but I do not buy it regularly. I think post- vacation or post-holiday is the perfect time to grab a few bottles. I like getting my gut health back on track with an extra dose of probiotics, and Health Ade is such a delicious way to do so!
- Greens with lunch and dinner- I make greens a priority, since typically, I don’t get as much as I’d like during trips or holidays.
- Drink plenty of water (and add some lemon for an extra boost).
- Make sleep a priority- vacations definitely throw my sleep off a bit, as do late nights (which often happens with so many holiday outings and festivities), so this week, I plan to hit the hay a bit earlier than usual, in hopes of resetting my sleep cycle. I am a night owl through and through so this is actually really tough for me to do, but I know it’s something I have to work on, just as with any other health/fitness goal.
Okay, now for our weekly dinner menu. I’ll be grocery shopping today and I intend to get the fixin’s for some fresh, healthy meals. Here’s the plan:
- MONDAY: Whole wheat pasta with pumpkin sauce served with a big ole green salad filled with tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, green pepper, and sprinkled with feta
- TUESDAY: Steak and broccoli stir fry served over cauliflower rice
- WEDNESDAY: A bit of an experimental meal… I’ll be using Hilary’s veggie burgers in lieu of eggplant for a little veggie burger Parmesan (get it?). I know it sounds strange, but since Hilary’s burgers almost have a breaded texture, I thought it would be fun to try this out because making actual eggplant Parmesan always takes me forever. I’ll serve the burgers (with marinara and a bit of mozzarella melted on) over zucchini noodles
- THURSDAY: Taco salad- greens, organic turkey, lots of veggies, avocado, and salsa
- FRIDAY: Homemade veggie pizzas (do I even have to say…with Simple Mills crust?)
As usual, I’ll post some of these meals on Instagram, so be sure to follow along there as well.
Finally, here are a few more awesome Cyber Monday sales/deals. I’ll update the codes on my current sales page, but wanted to share some things here as well. These are all things that are either in my shopping cart (both for myself and gifts for others) or items I already own and love that are discounted for Cyber Monday!
- J. Crew Chateau Parka – I ended up ordering this coat as well to see how it compares to the Factory version. J Crew is doing 40% off your purchase, plus an extra 10% off + free shipping, but only until noon today.
- J Crew Factory – 60% off everything + free shipping. I ordered this coat (will decided between this one and the regular J Crew version) and these pants. I asked for this vest as well.
- Fitbit Alta HR – great price —> here
- Macy’s- great price for this Kitchen Aid Mixer and only $48 for these Sperry boots
- Loft – 50% off everything; I have this top, I ordered this plaid top, and I love this sweater (super fun for the holidays), this cardigan (looks so cozy and warm), this velvet cami (perfect under a long cardigan), and this buffalo plaid coat.
- 30% off Hunter boots through this retailer
- This necklace is on my wishlist and it’s currently 20% off.
- Nordstrom (so many awesome deals with the extra 20% off many sale items) these leggings are on my wishlist and I grabbed this cardigan last week. I also just found these UGG boots for half off and I think I’m adding them to my wishlist as well!
You can find ALL my favorite sale items on my current sales page, but these were a few more I came across or wanted specifically highlight.
QUESTION OF THE DAY: What’s one thing you do to get back on track after a holiday?