Happy Monday all! My morning started off nice and early with some coffee and meditation (necessary on a Monday morning). I took a Pure Barre class and hustled over to Whole Foods to do some grocery shopping (I decided to steer clear of any grocery stores on Superbowl Sunday). I’ll be sharing my weekly dinner menu on the blog tomorrow.
I wanted to pop in today to share a few things, including some affordable workout ideas. First, just a few random updates from last week:
- I completed the 21 (classes) in 31 days challenge at one of the studios I teach at. I still have 1 more challenge to complete (the second studio started their challenge about 2 weeks later), but I’m well on my way. These challenges really helped me step up my game the last few weeks and I’m totally in a groove with my workouts. (Quick tip: if your exercise motivation is low, set your own challenge, just make sure it’s specific. Tell yourself you will workout 4 times this week or you will take X amount of classes by the end of February. Make a chart and mark off every step toward your end goal). Make sure to cheer yourself on and celebrate even small achievements- treat yourself to something fun when you meet your weekly goals- an Epsom salt bath or a small glass of vino are two of my fave “indulgences.”
- Last week (Monday- Saturday) was my first meatless week in quite awhile (I did eat fish). As I shared last Monday, I have no intention of not eating meat, but I just decided to get creative and try out different dinners so long as my body seems to be craving more plant-based dishes. My favorite dinner from last week was the shrimp tostada dish I made using Simply Organic fish taco seasoning. So easy and delicious. (I shared this meal on Instagram, but I can also do a post with the steps on here as well if you’d like!) I haven’t noticed any significant changes after a full meatless week, but I am sleeping better/deeper than usual (though I believe that is a result of a multitude of things). Matt, as always, was a trooper with our dinners, even though I know he probably would’ve preferred some meat dishes!
- One last random thought- I grabbed the Tone it Up Vanilla Protein Powder from Target a couple weeks ago- friends, it’s an awesome option if you enjoy protein powders. I personally love adding protein powder to my smoothies for some extra staying power, especially post-workout, but I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I think the flavor on this one is excellent, it contains minimal, plant-based ingredients, it’s affordable, and you can buy it at Target- doesn’t get any more convenient.
Okay, onto last week’s workouts:
Obviously with the challenge, I did quite a few Pure Barre workouts, but there are always days when (due to my schedule) I can’t take classes. I made sure to do my own workouts at home on those days (which is what got me thinking about low-budget workout options).
- Sunday: Rest day (incredibly important, especially if you want to give 100% in your workouts. Your muscles need recovery time.)
- Monday: Popsugar fitness videos: a 20 minute no-run cardio workout + 30 minute full-body circuit workout
- Tuesday: Pure Barre
- Wednesday: Pure Barre
- Thursday: 20 minute metabolic mashup on Popsugar Fitness
- Friday: Pure Barre + 20 minute brisk walk
- Saturday: Pure Barre
Affordable Workout Options:
As you can see, last week, two of my workouts were from Popsugar Fitness– FREE video workouts you can find here. When I first got serious about working out, these videos were my starting point. I couldn’t afford to pay for a monthly membership at a boutique fitness studio, and I didn’t love (and still don’t) love the atmosphere of traditional gyms, so every day I chose a different video to follow and I kid you not, my body began to change. I incorporated some running outside as well, but for a solid 6 months (maybe more) these videos got me MOVING.
The wonderful thing about Popsugar Fitness is they have a wide variety of workouts- from yoga and Pilates, to body-weight workouts, to Tabata and HIIT, to boxing- there are so many different styles, and a huge range of workout times (10 minute, 20 minute, 30 minute, etc.) These are FREE. There is no reason not to throw one of these on when you’re in a pinch and need to get your sweat on.
Another option? Video programs. Again, if working out at home is convenient for you, but you want a longer-term, cohesive program to follow, check out Beachbody. (I used to be a Beachbody coach and I still love their programs). Matt rotates between a few different programs for his strength workouts and he is extremely consistent with exercise, so a fantastic option for guys as well! We have a yearly membership so we have access to the programs all the time (it is about $100/year, or less than $10/month). If you don’t want to commit to a full year, or you are interested in just one specific program, you can buy the DVDs (many are even available on Amazon). I personally love and use 21 Day Fix, 21 Day Fix Extreme, and PiYo.
If you’re itching to try out boutique fitness studios, check out Gilt City and Groupon on the regular. There are constantly amazing offers on these websites for discounted packages to a wide array of studios (Pure Barre, Shred 415, yoga studios etc.) My one caution- don’t let the purchase go to waste! As soon as you make your purchase, contact the studio and get your first class scheduled or get online and sign up yourself. There is typically an expiration date, so get in there and TRY IT. A couple of classes might give you the momentum you need to get back on track. Pay attention at the classes. Write down exercises you did after each class so that when your package is up, you can recreate the workouts at home to the best of your ability.
Finally, one more affordable option- workout guides and apps. In this generation, there’s no lack of online resources. Many fitness gurus have put together amazing programs you can do at home. Some popular ones: Tone it Up and Kayla Itsines. Again, just make sure to hold yourself accountable- create a chart to mark off each day you complete your workout.
Okay, and last for today, I thought I’d share a few athleisure items I have my eye on…I’m definitely ready for spring, so looking to lighten things up with white and/or lighter layering tops! I am obsessed with the marble leggings from Beyond Yoga- so fun!